If you’re new to the wig world, you might be caught off guard by the idea that you need special shampoo for your wigs. You might be wondering why you need to wash them at all, and why different shampoo for human hair wigs is even needed. Wouldn’t it just be easier to put a little water on it and call it a day?
Sadly, there’s no faster way to ruin a wig than by not shampooing it properly and regularly. Your wig functions exactly like your normal hair does, if not a little worse. Your wig is still susceptible to sweat, stains, dirt, and all the other pollutants that build up on your scalp over the course of a day, but it doesn’t get any of the benefits that your normal hair does. For example, your scalp produces regular oils that help moisturize and maintain the condition of your hair. These oils are essential to the overall health and shine of your hair, and not having them means your hair (in this case, your wig) is even more likely to break, tear, shed, or otherwise fall apart.
When you invest in a quality wig, especially a human hair wig, you also need to invest in the products that will help you take care of your wig for years to come.
More than any other type of wig, human hair wigs require special products and care in order to keep them in the best possible condition. Because the wig fibers aren’t synthetic, they’re more susceptible to wear, tear, and daily decay. Your human hair wig has likely cost you a good deal of cash, so you want to make the most out of that investment by ensuring you’re using the proper tools.
The first place you’ll want to start is making sure you have the right wig combs and grooming tools to help keep your wig detangled. Having your wig untangled and smooth before a shampoo is ideal for strand health and makes cleaning and storage far easier, so if you’re looking for recommendations check out our article here on good wig combs to use.
How To Find the Perfect Wig Shampoo
Most human hair wigs are made with hair strands that have been chemically processed in order to remove the cuticle and promote maximum hair health and binding. Human hair wigs need to be processed with extra care because of their fragility, which is why you should only ever use special wig shampoos that are gentle and specifically formulated to care for your new and gentle wig. Your wig should be washed every one to two weeks of wear, so if you’re wearing your wig regularly it likely should be washed once a week or so. However, if you wear your wig only occasionally you likely only need to wash it once a month. When preparing for your shampoo, you should make sure your wig is completely detangled and then submerse your hair completely in a sink of lukewarm water with a small amount of shampoo. But which shampoo? Let’s look at some of the best options.
Best Shampoo Options for Human Hair Wigs
1. Just Soak Human Hair Shampoo
- ✔️PREVENTS DRYNESS: Our human hair wig shampoo provides moisture to your wig to keep out from dryness. Also it delivers freshness feeling by using top quality ingredients.
- ✔️CONTAINS COCONUT OIL: Our human hair wig shampoo contains coconut oil to keep your wigs looking healthy and shiny. Additionally it has a high effect in reducing damaged wigs. It is an excellent wig shampoo that keeps promoting your wig volume, silkiness, body, and shine.
- ✔️OUR RECOMMENDATION: Best to wash wigs at least once every two week or when wigs feels sticky, dry, loose volume, and curls. Wash the wig with Awesome Human Hair Wig Care Shampoo. For best results we recommend to use our Human Hair Wig Conditioning Spray.
This five-star shampoo is specially designed for human hair wigs. Ethically designed (not tested on animals) and carefully formulated to prevent dryness and keep your wig fresh and light-feeling. The highlight here is coconut oil, which moisturizes and keeps your wig feeling silky and maintaining volume no matter how many days it’s beem since you last washed your wig.
2. DeMert Wig & Weave System Shampoo
- Removes oils and provides a natural appearance.
- Will not strip color, cleans and deodorizes.
- Will not flatten waves or become frizzed after use.
This high quality, affordable wig shampoo is perfectly formulated for both natural and synthetic hair wigs, making it both flexible and multipurpose for any wig you might need. Your wig will feel moisturized, silky, shiny, healthy, and volumized after any number of washes with this beautiful product, and the shampoo doesn’t strip color or natural texture in the wig.
3. Jon Renau Argan Smooth Luxury Shampoo for Human Hair
- Gentle and Hydrating Shampoo for Human Hair and Wigs
- Infused with French Argan Oil to add incredible moisture into the hair to eliminate any dry or brittle feeling
- Leaves hair feeling soft while keeping the color safe and hair shiny
This gentle and hydrating shampoo for human hair wigs is infused with French argan oil to add incredible moisture into hair, eliminating any dry or brittle feeling. Your wig is soft and smooth after this shampoo, with no damage to color or natural texture. The shampoo is also sulfate, paraben, and sodium chloride free, making it an all natural and healthy argan smoothing solution that provides the oils and protection of a natural scalp without any of the extra work.
4. Brandywine Non Static Shampoo
- Brandywine Hair And Wig Care Set Includes:
- Brandywine Non-Static Shampoo 16 Ounces
- Brandywine Revitalizing Conditioner 16 Ounces
This industry famous Brandywine set offers non-static, supreme quality wig care at some of the most affordable prices on the internet. Designed for synthetic and natural hair products alike, this Brandywine Non Static Shampoo cleans and moisturizes all kinds of wigs and hairpieces with care and patience, creating a natural and healthy glow.